Guildford Meditation was founded by Neil Tranter, and is now run in collaboration with Sarah Gulland, Rob Houston and Amanda Redvers. We all have daily mindfulness practices, and running Guildford Meditation gives us the opportunity to share this practice with others.
We take a non-religious approach inspired by modern and traditional approaches, such as at the Zen and Insight Meditation traditions, and the more recent work of Jon Kabat-Zinn, Mark Williams, Vidyamala Burch, Richard Miller and Tara Brach.
At the core of our philosophy, lies mindfulness practice – bringing friendly, curious, non-judgmental awareness to the present moment. We use a wide range of approaches to help our clients to find an approach which works for them. These include sitting practices (meditating using the body, breath, sounds, thoughts, emotions…), mindful movement, walking meditation, mindful dialog, and other experiential mindful work.
In addition to working with private clients (individually and in groups), we also provide mindfulness and coaching services to organisations including Google, EA Games, Colgate and Allianz.
We also adhere to the Good Practice Guidance of the UK Network of Mindfulness-Based Teacher Trainers.
Rob came to Mindfulness from a place of Corporate Stress and Burnout. He discovered Mindfulness through the MBSR 8 week course and never looked back. He found the impact of a daily Mindfulness practice greatly reduced his reactivity to stress and found his default level of happiness increasing.
Rob has an open, down to earth and enthusiastic way of teaching Mindfulness and wishes to help people reduce stress and deal with the daily pressures that we all face in this busy life by incorporating Compassion, Kindness and Mindfulness into their lives.
Currently working at Google, Rob runs regular Mindfulness sessions for individuals and teams and teaches Search Inside Yourself throughout the organisation. His experience and qualifications include:
- Mindfulness for stress and pain teacher training with the Breathworks Organisation.
- Search Inside Yourself Teacher. This 2.5 day course incorporates many different factors including Mindfulness, Self Awareness, Self Regulation, Emotional Intelligence, Motivation, Compassion and Leadership.
- Co-facilitating Mindfulness Day Retreats at Guildford Meditation.
"Working in mental health for almost 20 years has shown me the value of mindfulness in managing stress both in the lives of my patients as well as myself. This realisation has changed my life so much that I have never looked back and in fact have gone on to train as a Breathworks mindfulness teacher. Its been an incredibly enjoyable and rewarding experience but of course also challenging at times. I'm fortunate now to be able to work with mindfulness and share it with others."
Amanda's experience and qualifications include:
- Breathworks Accredited Mindfulness Teacher.
- Almost 20 years working in mental health.
- Supporting numerous courses and retreats at Guildford Meditation.
“I discovered meditation 12 years ago during a particularly stressful time in my life. At the time I was suffering from panic attacks and constant mental chatter, both of which were very tiring. Mindfulness and meditation gave me a way to significantly reduce both of these symptoms and also gave me clarity to see a way forward, and to grow as a person. In fact mindfulness and meditation have had such a positive impact on my life that I decided to focus my energy on the study of mindfulness, deepening my own practice, and sharing meditation and mindfulness with others. I now teach 8 week meditation and mindfulness programmes, run retreats and provide mindfulness based awareness coaching.”
With a background in physics, software engineering and management of large teams, Neil provides a pragmatic approach to mindfulness and meditation which balances the intellectual with the spiritual.
Neil benefits from the following experience:
- Over 12 years of daily meditation practice
- MBSR training and ongoing supervision with Susann Herrmann, co-founder of London Meditation.
- Trained as a Mindfulness Based Awareness Coach with Albert Tobler, co-founder of London Meditation.
- Mindful Inquiry training with Cindy Cooper (Bangor CMRP)
- Mindful Movement training with Vanessa Hope (Bangor CMRP)
- Mindful Inquiry with Focusing (Peter Gill & Lokadhi)
- Teaching Mindfulness in Non-Clinical Settings (Frantic World) (Chris Cullen)
Also regularly attending retreats and courses to develop his personal and professional practice, including:
- Mindful Self-Compassion Intensive with Christopher Germer and Christine Brähler
- Foundations of MBSR/MBCT Retreat with Christina Feldman, John Peacock, Chris Cullen
- 2015 Mindfulness in Society Conference (Bangor CMRP) - Mark Williams, Saki Santorelli, Breathworks
- 2014 Cognitive Neuroscience of Mindfulness Conference (Bangor CMRP) - Cindy Cooper, Rebecca Crane, Phillipe Goldin
- Silent Zen Retreat with Stephen and Martine Batchelor at Gaia House
- iRest 8 Week Course with Sarah Gulland
- Embodying the Awakened Heart Retreat with Yanai Postelnik and Leela Sarti
- BFA Focusing Skills with Manjudeva
- Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress 8 week course with Sarah Gulland
- Mindfulness urban day retreats with Susann Herrmann at London Meditation
- Meditation days with Martin Aylward and Catherine McGee at London Insight
- Meditation & Hill-walking at Dhanakosa
- Leadership and Nlp coaching with David Ferrers
- Meditation & Yoga at Rivendell
- The Hoffman Process with Tim Lawrence
I came to mindfulness through my work with horses although my original background was in practicing law. As prey animals, horses are extremely sensitive to the emotions and body postures of the humans they interact with. I began to realise that my own stress, fears and anxieties impacted upon the horses that I was working with. I began my meditation and mindfulness journey as a way of enabling myself to become more aware of what was happening within myself. This awareness not only had a hugely positive effect on my interactions with horses, but also was to be profoundly life changing. I found that my levels of stress and anxiety dramatically reduced and sense of peace and contentment gradually increased. As the years went by and these positive changes continued, I decided that I had to share this with others.
I am interested in working with a variety of populations including schools, alcohol and drug rehab centres, corporate settings and those with chronic pain issues. I am always continuing to learn and to develop the skills that I can offer. As a busy mum of three, I bring a down to earth and humorous approach to my teaching.
My qualifications include:
- Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress and Mindfulness for Pain accredited Teacher
- Mindfulness in Schools accredited Teacher
- Mindfulness Based Addiction and Recovery Training, (MBAR).
- iRest , (Integrative Restoration), Level One accredited teacher. Currently studying for Level Two certification.
- Mindful Movement training with Padmadarshini, (Institute for Integrative Bodywork and Movement Therapy).